Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Responsible Pet Ownership

Upon receiving the advocating project I was initially unsure of what topic interested me the most, but with a little thought and time I came to realize that animals have a high rank within my sphere of cares. This topic is significant to me because I am a pet owner who cares greatly about the well being of all animals, domestic and wild. With this said, I decided to advocate for the responsible ownership of pets. I advocated for this cause because of the many things that pet owners may do to their pets knowingly or unknowingly that are neglectful or harmful to them, but through knowledge this activity can be avoided and responsible ownership can prevail.
Although many people believe that they bestow great care upon their pets, there may be small aspects that they fail to realize may not be the best form of care possible for the longevity and livelihood of their pets. I feel that it’s imperative that pet owners learn proper treatment of animals. I hoped to provide sufficient information in order for them to do so. Through my project I hoped to shed some light upon some of the widely believed and adapted treatment of pets that isn’t exactly in their, or the pet owner’s best interest. Through the entirety of the project I was able to collect and formulate my knowledge on the subject in a somewhat cohesive manner to present to my fellow classmates, but there were a few bumps along the way as far as presenting them went.
Primarily I hadn’t decided on a way to portray my topic to an audience, but I had decided on directing it towards an audience of adult pet owners as well as to those who plan to become pet owners in the near future. I decided upon these specific addressees because I felt that they would be the most beneficial to the information that I divulged. I later decided that I would combine some original photos with a power point slide show as my portrayal medium because all else seemed to be slightly more complicated. I also decided that I would take a more formal approach to presenting my topic so that it wouldn’t seem too repetitive or boring, as I can be at times, and as many informative pet guides are.
I originally wanted to go for a more harsh reality on ill treatment of animals but I decided against that approach and went for a softer advance that would be a guide for those with the desire to learn how to care for pets of their own. Another thing that proved to be difficult to me was thinking of some of the smaller things that most beginning pet owners would easily overlook. I included the daily aspects of feeding, training, and playing within my project. Within these categories I spoke of the do’s and don’ts among them, hoping to point out common mistakes and ways to approve upon them.
This project seemed to be a little more fun than I had expected. It brought me to see that although maintaining good pet care might not have seemed to be one of my main priorities or thoughts, it was one that has subtly remained within my consciousness and will always be one that captures my attention and support. I will definitely go on to remain an advocate for this cause and I hope that through this project I have reached my goal of inspiring or further pushing someone to take the step of partaking in responsible pet ownership.

2 comments:

  1. knowledge is the best way to solve a problem. you can totally solve the problem by making people aware of their pets needs

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a topic that I think every pet owner would be interested in because everyone loves their pets and wouldn't want to do anything to hurt them. When I had a dog, I never really thought about the fine details of playing and feeding so this would be enlightening for a lot of people. I am glad that you took the softer approach because I think animal neglect is something much different from making common pet care mistakes.

    ReplyDelete